Power Surge Causes Fire at Rock Valley Bank

The Rock Valley and Hull Fire Departments were called to the Rock Valley branch of Peoples Bank Thursday evening.  Rock Valley Fire Chief Brent Eshuis says when power was restored to the community around 6:40 last night, a power surge occurred causing a small blast within the power scrubber of an electrical panel.  Eshuis says when firefighters arrived, the panel was still smoldering.  Some smoke damage occurred as well as damage to a ceiling tile and the power scrubber, but was confined to the basement area of the panel.  Some electrical smoke and melting plastic smells filtered throughout the bank.  Al Vermeer, Peoples Bank CEO says since the power scrubber is non-essential to the operation of the bank, the bank is open and fully operational.